How to become a certified roofing contractor In Nashville, TN
If you are working in the roofing business and want to become a certified roofing contractor you have come to the right place. One of the reasons for having a certification on your specialisation field is to attract clients. A certification is a great way to win your client’s trust. In fact, it is mandatory to have a licence if are taking a contract of 25,000 $ or above according to Tennessee state law.
Different states have different laws when it comes to roofing contractors certification. This article mainly deals with Roofing contractor certification in the state of Tennessee.
Here are steps you need to take to become a certified roofing contractor:
1. For the state of Tennessee, the government requires work experience in the field you want certification for, preferably of 3 years before you can apply the certification. You need to get information on the specification of the specialisation. There are exams for different types of roofing contractors. The specialities include commercial building, electrical, plumbing, landscaping, masonry or solar panel installation, telecommunications etc. You will have to speak to your employer to discuss your specialisation and type of test you need to take for the roofing contractor. Do your research before you fill up the application form.
2. Before obtaining a certification you need to provide a score for the Contractor’s Exam which is an open book examination. You can find the reference manual and test material on the NASCLA official website or PSI’s official website.
You can register for the exam on the internet through PSI’s official website (available 24 hours), the exam schedule is given right away.
Or you can apply through fax. Fax the Examination Registration Form and your credit card number and expiration date to (702) 932-2666. It will take 4 business days to complete your registration process. Give a call to PSI on (800) 733-9267 to get the schedule details.
You can mail the registration form (found in www.tn.gov) to PSI, with the appropriate examination fee. Payment of fees can be made by credit card, money order(print your Social Security Number on it), company check or cashier’s check. This process takes 2 weeks to generate the schedule of your examination.
Telephonic registration is available on Monday – Friday from 6:30 am- 9:00 pm, Saturday-Sunday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm CST. Phone number is (800) 733-9267.
A retest is not possible on the same day. In case of unsuccess, you may call PSI the next day you have taken the exam and schedule another examination.
There would be a total of 100 questions and you would be given 300 minutes (question and time may vary according to speciality) to complete the examination. It is an open book examination and you will have to score at least 73%.
3. Contractor’s Exam is mandatory for all new applicants to get a certification. If you are renewing your licence or have taken the exam elsewhere a Trade Exam waiver can be applied.
For the exam given in the following states, Trade Exam Waiver is applicable. However, it should the applicant’s home/ domiciled state.
The states are:- Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, NASCLA
4. The exam costs 57 $. The scores are provided on the same day. You can apply online on www.tn.gov. Find the schedule and location and get prepared accordingly.
5. For the certification, a number of documents are needed-
The exam score from Contractor’s Exam in pt.2.
The training or experience certificate from the employer with detailed experience information. Contractor’s affidavit.
Proof of United state citizenship or documentation of identity and immigration status if applicable. A copy of Insurance information.
Audit of the financial statement of the sole proprietor, corporation or partnership is required and must be prepared by a CPA.
If you are working as a corporation, general partnership or LLC, make sure to register with the Tennessee Secretary of State.
5 Once all the information is submitted it takes about four to five weeks before you get your certification.
6. Monetary limitation on the amount of work they can take up might be applicable to your certificate according to your score and experience.
More information can be obtained through- www.tn.gov– How to become a licensed contractor
Or PSI’s official website.
Roof Repair Nashville
Roofing Repair Nashville is one of the full service roofing company. We provide best quality roofing materials, expert installation and maintenance services to commercial and residential clients at affordable prices and guaranteed on-time delivery.